vrijdag 25 juli 2014

Day 5 - No task after all

We woke up with a forecast for extremely unstable weather, but with a chance of dryer air flowing in from the West during the day. We decided to head to Aspres and not set up the gliders until the first (few?) storms/showers would have passed.

The weather turned out to be exactly as predicted. Very unstable and by 13:30 we were sitting in heavy rain caused by a nearby storm. No lightning though.

Once the rain passed, a few of us were still hopeful and started rigging the gliders. Lots of pilots weren't convinced at all because we continued to see big clouds and rain showers all around (including a few rumbles of thunder).

The waiting continued and by 3 o'clock, it looked like a launchable breeze was going to develop. A task was set and we briefed the pilots. At the same time, the safety committee received a report of heavy rain at Sisteron and the task was canceled. It turned out that this was a little early, as many pilots flew immediately after and had a very enjoyable flight from Aspres back to the camping. But, even if the task would have been started, it is questionable whether we would have been able to fly it, since a big cloud started developing over Laragne by the time I started my final glide into the camping. I want to thank the safety committee for their efforts in advising the meet director. They do not have an easy task in these conditions.

At least we were able to fly and we finally could enjoy a landing beer. Let's hope for 2 more flyable days and a valid comp. Today should be flyable, but it might be difficult to find a suitable launch (west winds in Laragne, NW in Aspres...)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen